Bamboos belong to a group of evergreen plants in the family named Poaceae. Some of the members of that family are extremely large – sized and they form the largest members belonging to the grass family. There are more than 1000 species of bamboo. These plants are found in climates ranging from cold to hot. Bamboos are extremely useful as they are consumed as grains, the young shoots are cooked and even in some cases, they are used as vegetables. The fibers of the pulp are used to make paper. The stems of the bamboo plant have diverse uses alone, as they are used for planks for rafts or to build scaffoldings for buildings on construction sites. These stems are also used to make furniture, and varieties of flooring. Also, bamboo fibers are now woven and used in making blankets, quilts, sheets etc.
Advantages of bamboo
- Bamboo is a material that doesn’t lose their softness and are much stronger raw material.
- Bamboo is one of the most environmental friendly materials and grows the fastest.
- Bamboo naturally contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that eliminate the need for pesticides and hence, keeps your germ free as well as hygienic and clean.
- The best part about this material is that its quality occurs naturally and hence, no chemicals are added. Bamboo white stays white and does not become pale or yellow, making it very durable. It is also stain resistant and does not age quickly.
- Being comfortable, Bamboo is great for night sweats, pregnancy and also menopause due to its insulating and breathable qualities.
- Bamboo fibers can be made without negatively impacting the environment. It self-irrigates which means it does not consume as much water as crops like cotton. It also produces more oxygen than many other trees and can help reduce carbon dioxide levels.
When one thinks of a blanket, the first materials or types to come in mind are cotton and linen. Although these are comfortable, they need not be the most eco-friendly, hygienic and even durable to be used for a longer time.
Instead, we can go about using bamboo sheets and bamboo quilt cover which have various positive aspects to it. A lot of countries manufacture these bamboo sheets like the sheet sets Australia etc. that make them one amongst the few sustainable countries in the world. Before understanding about the advantages, it is important to know more about the material.